Soybean Oil: Source of Polyunsaturated Fat
Polyunsaturated fat is a fatty acid. This type of fat is very present in oils of plant origin and fish. The main types of polyunsaturated fat are omega 3 and omega 6.
Main sources of omega 6
- Soy oil
- Sunflower oil
- Corn oil
- Golden flaxseed
Main sources of omega 3
- Canola oil
- Olive oil
- Fish oil
- Linseed oil
Functions in the human organism:
- They act in the proper functioning of the immune system;
- Assists in the maintenance of cell membranes;
- Has anti-inflammatory action on cells;
- Helps to lower LDL (bad cholesterol) levels in the blood;
- Helps to decrease the amount of triglycerides in the blood;
- Acts in the process of manufacturing hormones.
What consumption of excess polyunsaturated fats can cause:
- Free radical formation due to the high oxidation power.
- May cause health problems such as myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis and lymphomas.
Did you know?
- Oils rich in polyunsaturated fats should be consumed in moderation and in the natural state (in natura), because if heated at high temperatures (frying) may lose their benefits.