Bat: A Flying Mammal
Summary of Bat Information and Characteristics:
- A bat is a mammal animal that has the ability to fly.
- Scholars have cataloged nearly 100,000 species of bats, ranging in color, size, weight and body shape.
- They feed mainly on fruits, insects, animal blood (few hematophagous species), fish, nectar and pollen.
- When flying at night, they use a location system known as biosonar (emission of ultrasonic waves through the nostrils or mouth). Some species orient themselves through echoes. Although they have this feature, they have good quality vision.
- Depending on the species, the life of a bat goes from 10 to 25 years old.
- They can transmit anger to humans through the bite with their small, sharp teeth.
-It is important for the perfect functioning of ecosystems, as they act in pollination and distribution of seeds through forests.
- They reach sexual maturity (reproduction period) around the age of two.
- They inhabit damp and dark places, mainly caves and abandoned buildings.
- Many bat activities are performed in the late afternoon and evening.
Artibeus lituratus: one of the largest Brazilian bats.